Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Buhlee

One of my favorite people in the entire world is a two-year-old boy affectionately named “Buhlee”. Buhlee is the first child of two of my closest friends and he’s all around awesome. He’s cute as hell, tons of fun, and even though he is just beginning to speak in full sentences I’m convinced that we are close… close friends. Sometimes when I’m with him, we play catch, or we chase each other, sometimes we even both strip down to our diapers and run around outside and take pictures (j/k, j/k that hasn’t actually happened… yet).

One of the reasons I enjoy hanging with this two year old boy so much is because he reminds me of the days when my spirit was just like his. He helps me remember the good old days, you know what I mean...

when you trusted your environment and the people in it so much that I could leap first and ask questions later,

when everyone was your friend and playmate,

when you weren’t concerned with the pressures or worries of tomorrow but you could fully embrace ever moment,

when your imagination was so vivid that a cardboard box or a plastic bag could be the source of entertainment for hours.

Those were the days, and today when I have a paper due, a test tomorrow, an 8-hour work shift tonight, plus a 2-hour commute, I lonnnnnng for those days, and my longing for those days goes much deeper than an escape from a busy schedule.

When I think about Buhlee I think about Jesus, especially because Jesus said things like, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” and "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these". Wow, what a thought. Jesus isn’t saying that we should always act like little children and never mature, he’s saying that there are qualities in children that are necessary for us to experience God as He is and life as He intends it.

Jesus is urging us to bring our imagination, our ability to love and trust freely, our ability to enjoy each moment, and our ability to experience true contentment regardless of circumstance from childhood into our adult years. These qualities are not those of a child, these are qualities of a human, whole and free. That is the plan of God for us, that we may be whole and complete not lacking any good thing. Thanks Buhlee.

Love, Life, Christ,
Riis

3 comments:

Manny said...

LOVE IT!!!!

annie said...

i feel the same way!

Astroknot said...

This makes me think of my amazing nephews.

Well said my friend. Those newborn babes in swaddling clothing, with their raw voices and fresh earth-legs; are such a constant reminder of the stunning sound of joy, the importance of balance (knowing oneself), and the sheer human ability of learning.

Such beauty is nothing to frown upon, nor forget easily.

A friend, Sofia said you have interesting blogs, and I must agree. So thanks for posting.